Honey is a natural ingredient that has many benefits for skincare. According to an older study Source, honey can help with improving the skin’s appearance. The authors state that it can help stop wrinkles from forming, keep the skin looking young, and prevent infections on the skin that can accelerate aging.
Benefits of Honey for Skincare
- It has antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help with various skin conditions.
- It can moisturize your skin and make it look more youthful and supple.
- It can help with healing small cuts or abrasions and fading scars.
You can use honey as part of your daily face wash, as a mask, or as a spot treatment for acne or eczema. However, you should always do a patch test first to make sure you are not allergic to honey. You should also use raw honey, which is more pure and effective than processed honey.
Honey has antimicrobial properties on the skin because it can kill bacteria that cause infections or acne. There are different ways that honey does this, such as:
- It seals the wound from outside contaminants.
- It’s a mild acid that most bacteria can’t grow well in.
- It has a low water content that bacteria don’t like either.
- It contains glucuronic acid that gets converted to glucose oxidase, which produces hydrogen peroxide on the skin.
These effects make honey a good natural remedy for various skin problems. However, you should always consult your doctor before using honey on your skin, especially if you have allergies, diabetes, or open wounds.
Honey has antioxidant properties on the skin because it contains flavonoid and polyphenol compounds that help it fight free radicals¹. Free radicals are molecules that can damage your skin cells and cause signs of aging, such as wrinkles, sagging, and discoloration.
By applying honey to your skin, you can help to nourish damaged skin, reduce inflammation, and improve your skin’s appearance²³. However, you should always use raw honey, which has more antioxidants than processed honey. You should also be careful not to use honey that is too hot or too cold, as this can cause skin irritation.
Honey has anti-inflammatory properties on the skin because it can reduce the activity of inflammatory compounds that cause swelling, pain, and redness. Honey also contains phytochemicals, phytonutrients, organic acids, flavonoids, natural sugar, and bee pollen that help to fight inflammation. Honey can also stimulate the production of inflammatory mediators that help to heal wounds and infections⁵.
By applying honey to your skin, you can help to soothe sensitive skin, calm acne or psoriasis, and heal cuts or burns. However, you should always use raw honey, which has more anti-inflammatory benefits than processed honey. You should also test a small patch of skin before using honey to make sure you are not allergic to it.
Use honey to prevent wrinkles and fine lines
According to some sources, honey can help with wrinkles and fine lines by moisturizing, exfoliating, and protecting the skin from damage. However, the results may vary depending on your skin type and other factors.
How to use honey for skincare?
There are different ways to use honey for skincare, such as a face mask, a cleanser, or a spot treatment. You can mix honey with other ingredients like yogurt, oatmeal, or turmeric to enhance its benefits123. However, you should always do a patch test before applying honey to your face to avoid any allergic reactions
Use honey as a face mask
To use honey as a face mask, you can follow these simple steps:
- Wet your face with warm water.
- Place a small amount of honey in your hands and rub them together.
- Massage the honey into your skin in a circular motion.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water and pat dry.
You can also add other ingredients like lemon, yogurt, or oatmeal to your honey face mask for extra benefits. However, you should always do a patch test before trying any new ingredient on your face.
Use honey as a cleanser
To use honey as a cleanser, you can follow these simple steps:
- Splash your face with warm water.
- Take a small scoop of honey and rub it onto your face in circular motions.
- Rinse with warm water until clear of honey.
- Moisturize as usual.
Honey is a gentle, restorative cleanser that can benefit most skin types and conditions. It can help improve radiance, smoothness, and reduce irritation and acne.
Use honey as a spot treatment
To use honey as a spot treatment, you can follow these simple steps:
- Clean your hands and the affected area.
- Dab a small amount of honey on a pimple or wound and leave it to dry.
- Cover it with a clean, dry dressing if needed.
- Replace the dressing when it gets wet or dirty.
- Wash your hands after treating the spot.
Honey can help heal acne and wounds by its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also help fade scars and improve skin texture.
Use honey for anti-aging
You can use honey for anti-aging, as it has many benefits for your skin, such as:
- It hydrates and plumps up the skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- It exfoliates and removes dead skin cells, impurities, and bacteria, leaving the skin smooth and glowing.
- It protects the skin from free-radical damage, which can cause premature aging, by its antioxidant and enzyme activity.
- It helps with skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, and scars, which can affect the skin’s texture and tone.
You can use honey as a face wash, a mask, or a serum for anti-aging. You can also mix it with other natural ingredients such as lemon juice, yogurt, oatmeal, or cinnamon for more benefits. However, you should always do a patch test before applying honey to your face, and consult your doctor if you have any medical conditions or allergies. You should also use raw, organic honey for anti-aging, as it has more nutrients and antioxidants than processed honey.
How to choose the right honey for my skin type?
To choose the right honey for your skin type, you should consider the following factors:
- The quality and purity of the honey. You should look for raw, organic, and unfiltered honey, as it has more nutrients and antioxidants than processed honey. You should also avoid honey that has added sugar, preservatives, or artificial colors.
- The source and origin of the honey. You should look for honey that comes from a reliable and ethical beekeeper, and that has a clear label of where and how it was produced. You should also check the pollen content and the floral source of the honey, as they can affect its properties and benefits.
- The type and grade of the honey. You should look for honey that has a high UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) or MGO (methylglyoxal) rating, as these indicate the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory potency of the honey. Manuka honey is one of the most popular and effective types of honey for skincare, as it has a high UMF or MGO rating and can help with various skin conditions³². However, other types of honey, such as clover, buckwheat, or acacia, can also have benefits for different skin types.
You can also do some research online or ask a dermatologist for recommendations on the best honey for your skin type.
Honey is a natural ingredient that can benefit the skin in various ways. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing properties that can help treat acne, scars, infections, and other skin conditions. It can also moisturize, nourish, and brighten the skin, making it smoother and softer. Honey can be used as a cleanser, a mask, or a spot treatment for the skin. However, honey may also have some risks and side effects, such as allergic reactions, contamination, stomach problems, bleeding, and tooth decay. Therefore, it is important to use raw, organic honey for skincare, and do a patch test before applying it to the face. Honey is not suitable for everyone, especially people with diabetes, allergies, or blood disorders. Consult your doctor before using honey for skincare if you have any medical concerns.